Monday, July 11, 2011

Tatuaje Cabaiguan


I've had a terrible cold lately.  For the past two and a half weeks I've been so stuffed up I could barely breathe.  I didn't smoke the whole time; not because I thought it would make the cold worse, but because my sense of taste and smell were so screwed up I figured it'd be a waste of a good cigar.

(On the other hand, it may have been the perfect opportunity to fire up a couple of dog rockets...)

Be that as it may, late last night I went out on the deck and broke my fast with this Tatuaje Cabaiguan (Guapos: 5.6" x 46), a beautiful, sturdy-looking cigar I got from the infamous Shuckins (aka Ron) in this wonderful bomb.  The wrapper is a very toothy Connecticut broadleaf, so dark that I thought it was a maduro before I researched it.  {Edit:  Apparently it was indeed a maduro...} It's very firmly constructed, and triple-capped, but drew easily enough when clipped.

Once toasted and lit, the Cabaiguan was medium-bodied and delicious right from the get-go.  Leathery and peppery, like many other blends, but also creamy and quite woody and earthy all at the same time, with a faint sweetness that probably came from that dark wrapper.  That's a lot of flavors, but this stick somehow kept them separate and distinct, and I didn't have to concentrate to pick out individual nuances like I usually do.

The Cabaiguan gave off a respectable amount of thick, white smoke, the burn was cool and even and sharp, and the draw stayed consistent all the way through.  The ash looked firmer than it was; it never got longer than an inch or so before falling off on it's own, but at least it didn't flake at all.  The flavors seemed to vary in strength - sometimes more of this and less of that - but it never got out of balance.  The faint sweetness grew a little stronger as it burned, but at no point did any one flavor overpower another.  The Tatuaje Cabaiguan is a wonderful smoke: complex and flavorful, but very easy to smoke and enjoyable right down to the nub.

Appearance and Construction:  13/15
Flavor:  23/25
Smoking Characteristics:  22/25
Overall Impression:  33/35

Total:  91/100

No comments:

Post a Comment