Wednesday, June 15, 2011

5 Vegas Miami


After having a 5 Vegas Limitada fall apart in my mouth a couple of weeks ago, I needed something to renew my faith in the brand.  This Nicaraguan beauty was exactly what the doctor ordered...

I got this 5 Vegas Miami (Toro: 6" x 48) as part of welcome aboard mailboxicide package from shuckins (aka Ron) at BotL.org.  I have owned several of these, actually, but I've given or traded away all but this one, and I'm very glad I kept one for myself.

First, the construction: no flaws anywhere that I can see.  The Corojo wrapper is smooth and oily and richly colored; it's well-packed and evenly firm from head to foot.  The triple cap cuts cleanly and yields an easy draw.  Toasted and lit, it gave up a surprising amount of flavor right away, and thick, sweet smoke.  The flavors were typically 5-Vegasian:  leather and black pepper, predominantly, but with other, sweeter spice in there, too.  Almost a ginger, or nutmeg maybe.  Delicious, whatever the hell it was.

The leather and pepper changed strengths as the cigar burned, one waxing while the other waned, but always maintaining an excellent balance as the sweeter spice seemed to come and go.  I would describe it as full-bodied, but quite smooth - probably the smoothest non-mild 5 Vegas I've had yet.  Don Pepin Garcia's influence, perhaps.  The burn was cool and sharp and even and the draw stayed consistent all the way through.  A pleasure to smoke.  I suddenly find myself wishing I hadn't given away all the others...

Appearance and Construction:  15/15
Flavor:  21/25
Smoking Characteristics:  22/25
Overall Impression:  32/35

Total:  90/100

No comments:

Post a Comment