Friday, July 15, 2011

Gurkha G5 Avenger


I received this gorgeous cigar (four of them, actually) in a disgustingly generous bomb from a wonderful brother called msirenoxed from Brothers of the Leaf.  For one reason or another, I never got around to trying one until last night.  But let me tell ya, 5 months rest in the humi certainly didn't do these beauties any harm.

The Gurkha G5 Avenger (Torpedo: 6" x 52) is a dangerously good-looking cigar.  It just looks like it's going to kick your ass... box-pressed, with a very oily, very dark Maduro wrapper and a simple gold-on-black band.  This Nicaraguan puro looks like something you might see hanging off a state trooper's gun belt.  It's heavy in the hand, and unlit, it smells of tobacco and tastes of pepper.  The cap was very hard to cut, but it came off cleanly, and the unlit draw was very easy, promising more leather and pepper to come.  The smoke that arose while I was toasting the foot smelled wonderful, but the first few puffs were downright baffling.  This cigar had all the signs of being a real beast, and I half-expected to burn my mouth on it, but there was almost no flavor.

It was giving off plenty of smoke, so I know it was lit, but I really had to concentrate to get any taste out of that first half-inch or so.  The typical tobacco was the first to appear, and then black pepper.  It was almost disappointingly smooth.  I know that sounds strange... but imagine taking a bite of bacon and having it taste like milk.  You might love milk, but it's just not what you'd worked yourself up to expecting.

However, I need not have worried.  A half-inch in and this thing really came to life.  More flavors, more body, and huge clouds of thick white smoke.  As the tobacco and pepper flavors intensified, I began getting leather and dark chocolate out of it as well.  This was more like it.  This is what was advertised.  Full-bodied and full-flavored, and not shy about it.  Some of the smoothness is gone, but that's a good trade, in my opinion.  It has a long, slightly sweet finish.  One inch in, and the back of my throat is already coated. One third in, and I'm getting a little light-headed and wishing I'd had a bigger dinner.  The burn was very slow and cool, and the draw stayed perfect.

I had to hold it in front of my reader so my camera would have enough light to focus...

The ash was firm and pale, and would get about 2 inches long before falling off on it's own.  In the last third, the burn got crooked enough that I had to touch it up with my lighter, and after that it would flake a little every now and then.  The flavors shifted in the last third, too - more leather, and less pepper.  But still damn good and damn strong.  All in all, I milked this baby for 100 minutes or so, and wished for more.  Not for the beginner, or the timid, but a full-flavored powerhouse of a smoke that I will be enjoying again.

Appearance and Construction:  13/15
Flavor:  23/25
Smoking Characteristics:  21/25
Overall Impression:  32/35

Total:  89/100

No comments:

Post a Comment