Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Blue Label B2


I received this... understated... stogie as part of my share of a Noobie PIF at Puff.com, specifically from BlackandGold508 (aka Keith).  I use the term "understated" because, frankly, this cigar does not impress with looks alone.  The band is simply a strip of blue cloth, and the wrapper is thick and extremely toothy and not-too-lovingly applied.  Someone who loves to read as much as I do should have known better than to judge a book by its cover, however.

Despite being, well... aesthetically challenged, the Blue Label B2 (Torpedo: 6.5" x 52) is well-made, the oily Nicaraguan Habano wrapper well-stuffed with Nicaraguan and Panamanian long fillers.  It feels heavy, with an even firmness everywhere except near the cap; the top inch or so felt a little loose and spongy.  Unlit, it smells like cedar and pepper, and once clipped, the easy draw tasted like more of the same.


It was only when toasted and lit the inner beauty of this cigar began to show itself.  Along with the cedar and pepper I had been expecting, there was leather, earth, and a l-o-n-g, very sweet hay-like finish.  Very tasty, and more complex than I had expected.  It's what I would call medium bodied, and very smooth for all that flavor.  It smoldered cooly, and gave off a decent amount of smoke.  The burn wasn't razor-sharp, but it was even enough that there was never a need to touch it up.


The flavors intensified throughout the first half, leveling off at just the right spot around the halfway mark and staying there the rest of the way.  It stayed smooth and actually got creamier in the second half.  I've found that some full-flavored cigars tend to get a little bitter or harsh towards the nub, but that never happened here.  Maybe that looseness at the cap helped with that, I dunno.

This cigar was definitely nubber-worthy.

Part of the reason I was so surprised by this cigar was that I made the mistake of looking up the price beforehand:  CI regularly sells 30 of these torpedoes for around $50.  That definitely lowered my expectations.  $1.66 each is an amazing price for these ugly, beautiful smokes.

Appearance and Construction:  11/15
Flavor:  23/25
Smoking Characteristics:  23/25
Overall Impression:  32/35

Total:  89/100

No comments:

Post a Comment