Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tatuaje Petit Cazadores Reserva


I've received a couple of these from generous Brothers of the Leaf over the last month or two, and after hearing so many good things about them I finally fired one up last night.

The Tatuaje Cazadores Reserva (Petit: 4" x 40) is a small, but good-looking, cigar.  The Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro wrapper is a rich, dark brown - the color and texture reminded me of an ancient football I used to own.  After forcing my cutter through the very tough triple-wrapped cap, the pre-light draw was quite tight and yielded almost no flavor at all.  Both, I assume, due to the closed foot.


The draw improved once it was lit, and the first inch or so was medium-full bodied and fairly smooth, with earth, red pepper and leather flavors that I really had to concentrate to pick out.  The flavors were full but very non-distinct and jumbled together.  The construction was good, with a fast but cool burn that stayed even and produced a nice, pale ash that was just under 2 inches long when it finally fell.

After an unimpressive first half, things went downhill quickly.  The original flavors intensified but still didn't separate, and it took on a woodsy tone as well.  Oak, perhaps.  That's not bad in itself, but it lost its smoothness, and I began to get a bitter, chemical taste in the back of my throat.  I purged it and put it down for a couple of minutes, but it was no better when I picked it back up.


I stuck with it for a while, but by the time I snapped this picture, the taste reminded me of the last time I got soap in my mouth.  Just awful.  I gave up on it and went inside and Googled up some reviews.  The first 6 or 8 I read had nothing but great things to say about this Tat, so I'll assume I just got a bad one.  I'll update this post (and hopefully the scores below) when I've worked up the courage to try another.

Appearance and Construction:  12/15
Flavor:  10/25
Smoking Characteristics:  20/25
Overall Impression:  16/35

Total:  58/100

No comments:

Post a Comment